Yachtmaster for Sail and Power is a major reference book that has proved invaluable for the many sailors following the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore course. This highly respected and refreshingly practical study guide covers the whole syllabus in detail, all illustrated with colour photographs, charts and worked examples throughout.
· Chartwork - with useful worked examples
· Electronic navigation - how to use the latest technology for safe navigation: radar, electronic chart plotting and GPS
· Pilotage - buoyage fully explained and illustrated
· Communications - information on current maritime communications including GMDSS
· Weather - the elements of meteorology, weather sources and forecasts
· Safety and survival - all the new SOLAS regulations detailed
· Stability and buoyancy - the principles simply explained.
Including the latest updates, new artwork and a modern design, this fourth edition compliments the syllabus and assists with exam preparation - an essential companion for anyone enrolling on the RYA Yachtmaster course, whether for sail or power.
RYA Cruising Scheme
1 Charts & positions
2 The compass
4 Finding the position - where are we?
5 Tidal heights - will we stay afloat?
6 Tidal streams
7 Estimated position - where we think we are
8 Course to steer - how do we get there?
9 Lights & buoyage - the signposts
11 Weather to go - or not to go
12 Fog & heavy weather
13 Buoyancy & stability
14 Anchoring, mooring & berthing
15 Passage planning
16 Safety & survival
17 Communications, GMDSS & distress
18 Anti-collision rules - the highway code
19 Bends & hitches
Answers to questions
Glossary of sailing terms
Appendix A Medical equipment for a cruising yacht
Appendix В Recommended equipment for offshore cruising boats
Appendix С Safety briefing check list
Appendix D Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Theory Syllabus