This book is designed to give those using RYA qualifications on a commercial basis a good understanding of their obligations as Master of a commercial vessel of less than 200 gt.
The book is specifically written to support the "RYA Professional Practices and Responsibilities" course that underpins all RYA commercial qualifications but is also a useful reference for operators working commercially on small vessels anywhere in the world.
Ignorance of the law or of local regulations is no defence and the maritime environment is one of the more complex regulatory frameworks in which to work.
I hope this book assists you in better understanding your obligations as a professional Master, and enables you to make decisions on the management and safety of your vessel, crew and passengers with greater confidence.
PART 1: THE LEGAL FRAMEWORK
- Sources of Law (International and Domestic)
- Merchant Shipping Legislation
- Department for Transport and Agencies
PART 2: REGULATION OF VESSELS
Ship Registration Survey and Certification Operational
PART 3: THE SKIPPER & CREW
- Training & Certification
- Health & Safety (Safe Working)
- Safe Manning and Hours of Work
- Skipper's Powers and Duties
- Safe Management of the Vessel
- Accident Investigation and Reporting Systems
- Criminal Liability (with Reference to the Merchant Shipping Act and Bylaws)
- When it goes Wrong Annexes 1-7
Annex 1 - Guidance on the Composition of a Navigational Watch
Annex 2 - Guidance on Regulations for UK Pleasure Vessels and Yachts
Annex 3 - Skippered Charter - Safety Briefing
Annex 4 - Handover Procedures for Owners/Managing Agents who Bareboat Charter
Annex 5 - MAIB Reporting Requirements and Definitions
Annex 6 - Salvage and Towing
Annex 7 - Safety Management System Structure